Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Golden Knight

Suppose having a handsome prince or white knight lifting your legs from the ground would be every girl's fantasy - well no, the girl doesn't have to be the sterotype missy in destress. I know I sounded a little disillusioned to say that I am attracted to a character in a Japanese manga (to be precise, manga turned into television drama) - Garo. It's a golden knight as opposed to white knight. How so? It's armour,sword and horse are golden in colour.

It was shown in Malaysian television last year and I was thankful for that. For those of you who have missed it, please feel free to see it at
http://www.crunchyroll.com/ and the best part is it's totally free of charge ;-) All that is required is to sign up as a member!

The manga was the brainchild of Katuichi Nagai in July 1964 with the help of Sanpei Shirato and was named after one of Shirato's ninja characters. Upon being published, the manga became a hit among college students. Some software companies had developed a game basis on this manga.

According to some sources in the Internet, Keita Amemiya created the superhero tokusatsu televesion series Garo and was aired in Japan between 2005 and 2006. The series was a huge turnpoint in tokusatsu entertainment.

Garo, whose real name is 冴島鋼牙, Saejima Kōga (or better known as Kouga) is a non-sociable person, expressionless and looks demure all the time. However, he's kind-hearted and protects human-kind by battling Horrors. These Horrors may take the form of human and are actually created from the negative feelings of human and come from a netherworld realm. They prey and devour humans.

Generally, Kouga may not be as attractive in the sense that he's not romantic, expressive nor humorous. On a different note, he has other attractions which would make many girls falling helplessly in love with him. He is gorgeous, well-built, has sharp features, noble, kind-hearted, able to provie a sense of security and he definitely look flamboyant fighting the Horrors in his long, black leather suit ;-)



I would like to compliment Shonokin for the awesome blog dedicated to Garo.

5 comments:

said...

Before i watch Garo, i would not read your comment first, dont lure me

Petite Lass said...

Ah, I think I mentioned to you before. It's a thumbs-up for me! In some earlier episodes, they are like the common superhero storyline. But after that, it became very very interesting. Anyway, there are some "adult" scenes. So don't say I didn't warn you ;p hehehe

Sara said...

And his white coat, you forgot it! In motion, when our surly/cold-faced/warm-hearted/hot-looking Kouga walks quickly or fights, it gives him a supreme elegance!

I really love Garo, I've found in it an unexpected depth in Kouga and Kaoru's characters. I have devoted a blog to it, too, if you are interested. It is a trilingual one:
http://mitra-water.blogspot.com/

Petite Lass said...

Hehe, no. How could I forget that. Kouga looked totally awesome in that white coat!! Wow,..your blog is great - trilingual!! Reading through your blog had my mind rewinded like a tape - the memories of the plot and characters flashed in my mind one by one. Gosh, I am thinking about this Golden Knight even more! Yeah, agree that the creator did a good job in projecting the characters in this drama. I feel Japanese dramas often have depth and usually offer moral lessons or lessons of life. They are usually short and sweet.

Sara said...

I am not used with Japanese dramas, it is an unknown thing for me, but now... who knows...!