Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Everyone tries to cheat aging and some one would give anything in exchange of youth. It does sound promising if you get younger when everyone around you seems to be going the opposite way. Wouldn't it be great if you could outlive others? I personally didn't like the idea. Perhaps you could say I am selfish but I don't like the idea of seeing people who I care or who I know leave one by one before my eyes. I rather be the one who leave first or leave when I am happiest (though it would be the most difficult time to let go). Well, it does scare me on the thought of death as I do not know how will I die. If I die peacefully and without major complications, I have no fear.

Ah, what's all the talk on death about? Hehe, I went for a movie yesterday (finally!!). The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It's a very touching story and it discusses many aspects of life, which set me to ponder.
"I was born under unusual circumstances"
Benjamin, a less fortunate baby borned with deforms, who was deserted by his father (Thomas Button - an heir to a reputated button manufacturer Button's Button) who could not accept his ugly appearance, after his mother died giving birth to him. Benjamin was left at the doorstep of a nursing home ran by a lady who is kind-hearted but unable to conceive named Queenie.

Despite receiving discouraging remarks by two of her friends, Queenie decided to raise this child. She introduced Benjamin to others as her sister's baby and her sister could not look after the poor child. Hence, he would be joining the elderly as part of a family member.
Looking old and wrinkled, Benjamin was born weak and his body seemed to perform like an elderly who was nearing death. He would not live long, according to a doctor.

Much to Queenie's surprise, Benjamin lived longer than expected and as days go by, his body showed signs of growth instead of deterioration. Being special and different from other kids, Benjamin had never been far away from his home until a friend brought him out. It opened a whole new world to him and that's the beginning of a new chapter in Benjamin's journey of life.
The story was delivered in a narrative way with constant flashbacks. David Fincher did an excellent job in putting together the scenes such that the connectivity and the flow is undisrupted. Although the movie is tear-jerking, Fincher never failed to put a smile on his audiences' face from time to time, especially when one least expected it.
I am impressed how petty details were considered and blended into the scenes. To those who are die-hard fans of action movies or horror movies, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button may not be your cup of tea. It discusses many aspects of life through the eyes of Benjamin. He had been through war and lived through the pain of parting with people who were dear to him.
In his 20s, Benjamin had his first encounter with his father but he didn't know that man was his father. It was only when his father was dying, he was made known to that fact. Benjamin was upset with his father but he decided to let go of the past later and embrace what's lying before his eyes.
Like most Hollywood movies, romance is an important element. Benjamin first love was Daisy, whom he met at the nursing home. Her lovely blue eyes captivated him at the first sight but due to their differences at the time they met, there's no development to the sparks ignited. Benjamin had quite a number of affairs with women before meeting Daisy again, with whom he had a baby girl later.
The ending of the movie isn't exactly a happy one, if you ask me. Benjamin's unusual biological aging and growth complicated his relationship with Daisy. As much as he wanted to be with Daisy and their love child Caroline (named after Benjamin's late mother), he knew he would not be able to provide what a father could considering his reversing aging process - he's growing younger physically while Daisy was growing older. Hence, he sold all the assets bequeathed to him by his father and left the proceeds to Daisy and Caroline. It's a heart-breaking scene if you put yourself in either of their shoes *sniff sniff*
What saddened me was the fact that Benjamin turned into a little boy who had dimentia and aged terribly from within. He then died as a baby, the exact same way he came into the world but only in the reverse form. Well, the only consolation is that he died in the arms of the woman he loved, unwrinkled and youthful.
If you notice, those who are born extraordinary usually have higher morality than others. Perhaps their imperfection mould them into a more humble and empathetic soul who treat others sincerely.
Enough said. In fact, I think I have revealed too much =p Shall leave you to enjoy this masterpiece.
P/S: This is the first time I bought a couple seat. There're no more seats with good view. The only that were left were two rows from the screen. No way, I had enough neck strains. A crazy thought came to my mind - I wanted to take a picture of my sister and myself in a couple seat. However, I dismissed that after a second thought. That's just too embarassing. It's just a couple seat! LOL.

2 comments:

icefreak said...

seems like it's a really good show. hope that they are still showing it

Petite Lass said...

Don't worry, it's still new ;)