Friday, July 26, 2013

The Netherlands : A Day trip in Amsterdam July 2010

This is one of the few trips that I travelled alone. Amsterdam was a transit leg for me to get back to Copenhagen from a business trip to Ghana during summer of 2010.

Without wanting to spend on accommodation but curious of the city that is famed for its right light district and cheese, I requested to have a later flight back to Copenhagen from Amsterdam.

Similar to most West or Central European countries, you will need to buy a separate train ticket should you want to board a train from the airport to the city central station.

As soon as I walked out from the train station, I bumped into a friendly tourist, who like me, travelled alone. He asked for my assistance to take a photo of him and in return, he took mine.



 Amsterdam Central Station

After thanking my photographer, my one day trip in Amsterdam begins. A blind to directions, I just walked towards places that looked interesting and occasionally stopping to look at direction guides available on the streets.

The air was crisp and misty. Perfect with the presence of Mr. Sun. 





 Yeah, it was just a motorbike. I find it cool though. So, I took a picture of it.
 De Nieuwe Kerk. Unfortunately the palace which was next to it was under construction.



 Madame Tussaud in the heart of Amsterdam.  

 
 Somehow, managed to find my way towards the canal.

 All the boats were beautifully decorated, awaiting for their guests. 




 Lovely combination of hues. The magical moment of summer.

 Yes,...another motorbike picture. This time, for  its cuteness :p




I kept walking without any directions till I reached this quiet place. There were windmills and all but knowing my eccentricity, you would have guessed I took a picture of something totally irrelevant (to the beauty of Amsterdam). It seemed to be a play area for kids...or at least that was my guess.


Now, in an attempt to be cultural, I marched on and queued like the rest of the tourists to enter into Rijksmuseum. It is a museum not to be missed if you are a culture and a painting lover.


Lastly, I shall end the post with a picture of a typical Dutch architecture. I love it, don't you? No, I didn't take any pictures of the Red Light District. Nothing interesting. Not during the day.


No comments: