Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Day I Grew Mad For Garlic

That's right.

I would rather admit blatantly that I have a sudden strange obsession instead of acknowledging I am now officially a year older.

Last week marked the final year of my twenties. Boohooo.
On a brighter note, I had some really good years in my twenties when I looked back. That is a consolation I could hold on to.

My sister was rocking off her birthday in Seoul with some friends and it was a pity I couldn't join them. She, however, shared photos of her trip LIVE, from time to time via Whatsapp. It was cool that South Korea has WIFI practically every where.

Since I didn't get to go to Seoul, hubby said I could have a Korean meal as a birthday celebration. Yippie! Off we went to the famous Han Gang Korean restaurant in Grand Indonesia mall.

Perhaps it wasn't my lucky day. They were closed for renovation!! -.-
We checked with the Information Service counter if there were any other Korean restaurants in the mall. The answer "Mad For Garlic" came up. Twice. We asked 2 different counters twice and we got the same reply.

We decided to check it out, although I was quite sure it wasn't Korean.
It turned out to be an Italian bistro, which is originated from Korea.
Aha! That, apparently made it Korean to those two Information Service representatives! -.-""

Anyway, to save us from hunting for the real Korean restaurant, I told hubby that we shall give this a try.

The place was rather comfortably decorated. Cosy, in fact. There were huge couches that you could probably lay down for a nap while waiting for your orders to be served.
And of course, garlics were practically everywhere!

Up in the ceiling.

On the lights.

On the walls.

And surely, on your plate of food.

From left, clock wise : Lobster Cream Pasta (topped with fish roe), Garlic Snowing Pizza, and Assorted Seafood Salad.

The food portion was surprisingly generous.

I like the vinaigrette flavour in the salad. It matched very well with the sauteed shrimps, squids and aromatic garlics (of course!). While the squids were fairly fresh, I find the shrimps were either over cooked or it was a frozen product. They didn't have the bouncy texture of fresh, perfectly cooked shrimps.

Garlic Snowing Pizza is such a cheesy name - remember how Korean romance dramas always have a snowy scene :p
When it was served, the waiter sprinkled a generous portion of grated Parmesan cheese as the pizza topping. Besides, slices of fried garlics were also visible on the pizza.
Beneath all those toppings were some peeled shrimps and absolutely sweet pineapples! The pizza was a pleasant surprise to me. I enjoyed it as it had all the ingredients I like in one serving - pineapples, garlic and cheese.

We started to feel the food were slowing expanding in our tummies when we were reaching for the Lobster Cream Pasta. We only had the salad and half of the pizza. The food were filling.

Hubby wasn't a huge fan of creamy based food but he decided to order the Lobster Cream Pasta because it sounded promising. The verdict? It was all right. The pasta was cooked al dente and the cream sauce wasn't lumpy.

As hubby paid the bill, the waitress brought him a dine in voucher with the validity till December 2013. Mmmm...will we come back here again?

Maybe.

Just maybe, if I grew mad for garlic again.

And if Han Gang is closed, again ;p

No comments: