Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Yummy Sweet Treats

I was roaming the streets of KL Chinatown a.k.a Petaling Street when I found myself stopped in front of a quaint shop. I looked up to find the name "Happy Meal Kafe" staring down at myself. I started to study the shop and the pastries at display. It's a rather small shop at the corner of the street and I could see how the pastries were being made in the kitchen.

Hanging from the shop's ceiling was an advertisement leaflet promoting Durian Puffs at MYR2.80 (for a pack with 4 pieces). They have a striking resemblance of Beard's Papa's cream puffs, only that it's a miniature version of the former.

The Durian Roll is a must-try apart from Durian Puffs. It was complimentary to have cooling and fragrant durian creams filling my mouth while the sun was not showing any mercy towards me. It's simply refreshing. It cost MYR2.40 per piece.

If you haven't enough of durians, I challenge you to try the Durian Tart and Durian Cake. They were freshly baked when they were purchased *yum yum*. You could smell the strong aroma of durian filling the air before you place them in your mouth. The topping of the Durian Tart was crispy but when my teeth sunk deeper into the tart, I could taste the softness, sweetness and the fragrance of the durian paste.

You could have mistaken the Durian Cake as the Banana Cake by merely looking at its physical appearance. However, do not be deceived. Kindly refer to the name tag placed beside each pastry or enquire before purchasing. Again, your tastebud would be greeted with a luxurious scent of durian.

Durian Tart and Durian Cake cost MYR2.40 per piece respectively. To the Durian lovers, the three items above are truly recommended.

I had also tried its pineapple tart (one of my favourite pastries). It's about 7cm in length and 3cm in width. Sprinkled with some black sesames on the top, it has a thin crust with generous pineapple fillings. It was still warm and soft when I placed it in my mouth. It cost MYR1.20 per piece but I find it worthwhile although it's pricy compared to a piece of normal pineapple tart. Only that this it is not like any other pineapple tarts ;-)

Its cream cheese cake arrested my attention as well. It was made up of a 3.5cm layer of cream cheese and a mere 0.5cm (or lesser) layer of thin crust. The best part was it's only sold at MYR3.50 per piece considering it was quite generously sliced from a round cake.

Happy Meal Kafe offers an irresistable temptation to those who thought of dieting. It has a wide selection of pastries (or you can perceive them as desserts) and they were all freshly baked from the oven! In my next stop, I would love to try the cream cheese cake, the blueberry tart and the mixed bean tart.

Oh, if you are a fan of egg tarts, please give it a try at Happy Meal Kafe. It cost MYR1.00 per piece and needless to say, the look of it would have tempted you to take a bite ;-)

It was a pity that I didn't have a camera phone to snap some photos to make the whole experience I had shared with you more believable. I didn't bring my digital camera either because I didn't think I would need one, especially when running some errands. Anyway, you can have a look at the Durian Puffs here.

Address:
Happy Meal Kafe
143, Jalan Tun H.S. Lee,
50000 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel/Fax: 03-20726080
(Located opposite Popular Bookshop and Reggae Bar)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i got so tempted by the durians cakes...feeling hungry now...lol

Petite Lass said...

Hehe,...do try when you come back next time around ok? Maybe we can go together!