Friday, August 8, 2008

Utada Hikaru

I believe many have heard of the name Utada Hikaru. She's a famous Japanese singer who had not only made it big to the Asian music industry but also in the Western music industry. She has a very impressive voice and when you listen to her slow numbers, you would be moved by the groove that she naturally brings into the songs. One of them is the unforgettable First Love. You would never get tired of listening to it. Hikaru can also carry off pop and fast numbers equally outstanding. A very dynamic singer indeed. Simply irreplaceable.

While browsing through crunchyroll, I found myself drawn to a video by Hikaru - First Love. It was an unplug version and had English subtitles. To those who didn't really know what was the song all about (like I did), I would be more than happy to share with you the translation of the hit Japanese song. Here you go...

our last kiss carried the flavour of tobacco
it was a bitter and sad smell
about this time tomorrow
i wonder where will you be
who will you be thinking of?

you are always gonna be my love
even if i fall in love with someone else someday
i'll remember to love you taught me how
you are always gonna be the one
now i still sing a sad love song
until i can sing a new song

the moment in time that stood still
seems to be trying to move
but i don't want to forget anything
about this time tomorrow
i will definitely be crying
i'll probably be thinking of you

you will always be inside my heart
because there is always a place for you
i hope that i have a place in your heart too
now and forever you are still the one
now i still sing a sad love song
until i can sing a new song

you are always gonna be my love
even if i fall in love with someone else someday
i'll remember to love you taught me how

you are always gonna be the one
now i still sing a sad love song
now and forever....


Other songs worth your attention would be Can You Keep A Secret?, Flavour of Life, and It's Automatic, just to name a few.

I hope she would keep us entertained with more great songs and continue to do Asians proud.

6 comments:

Doreen said...

Yes, yes! I love this song! Very sentimental and romantic. Still listen to it occasionally.

narrowband said...

I love First Love. It's my favorite Japanese song. I was moved by that live performance you mentioned (I saw it on Youtube though) too.

Anonymous said...

did u know that hikki composed that song when she was only 15? amazing aye? that song is on my blog... and i have been practising singing that song ... english and japanese version.

haha.. i didn't put any version of my singing on youtube because i'm not qualified yet ... unless i want an overnight fame and lots visitors to my blog.

Will said...

yup... love her songs too... quite a talented artist

Anonymous said...

'First Love' is the only Japanese song which i can hum from beginning till the end :) very sentimental tho....

Petite Lass said...

renaye : I didn't know that. Yeah, amazing. Maybe you should try uploading to Youtube? Would love to listen ;-)