Sunday, September 14, 2008

One Noodle Restaurant, SS2 PJ

My colleagues and I went to One Noodle Restaurant last Friday. When I heard and saw the restaurant, I thought it's another Hong Kong style restaurant which food would be below average. Boy, was I wrong.

We ordered the set lunch/dinner for 4 pax which cost us MYR68++. The food and the service was good. We were given chilled towels to clean our hands once we were seated. They served braised peanuts as appetizer. Maybe I was hungry, they tasted great!

The set dinner consisted of Beancurd Soup, Dim Sum platter, Pork Ribs, Vegetable platter (brocollis), Ramen, Steamed Prawns with Garlics and Glass Noodles, and Glutinous Rice Balls as dessert.

Though I love beancurds, I must say the beancurd soup was a disappointment. It's too salty and the soup was too thick, thanks to the over usage of corn flour. This first dish had me minus off some points and I remained doubtful on the quality of the food in this restaurant.

To my surprise, the next dish refute my judegement of the restaurant. I like the Har Kaw or a.k.a Shrimp Dumpling from the Dim Sum Platter. The shrimp was big, fresh and succulent. Simply irresistable. The Fried Shrimp Dumpling from the Platter tasted as good.

One Noodle Restaurant is famous for its Ramen. Hence, it's included in the recommended set lunch/dinner. The Ramen we had was a little sourish and spicy. Excellent to wake up your sleeping taste buds and I personally think it made a good appetizer/starter. It was also cooked with brinjal, which absorbed the spicy and sour broth, making it simply appealing. Brilliant combination, chef!

I am usually lazy when come to eating prawns which the shell is still intact, when eating out. The chef was thoughtful as he had the prawns cut and presented in a way that's easy to remove the flesh from the shell. Good for me and for those who shares the same laziness =p The Steamed Prawns were just nice for people who like prawns that are cooked in a simple way and lightly flavoured. Its broth was fragant and contained the freshness and sweetness taste of the prawns. How smart of the chef to lay some glass noodles beneath the prawns to absorb the essence of the prawns.

The Pork Ribs lived up to the expectations like other dishes. However, I think it's a little on the salty side. Perhaps, it's best to be eaten with rice or ramen.

Unfortunately, the glutinous rice ball didn't get to win back the point lost from the beancurd soup. Being a huge fan of glutinous rice ball, I expected it to be chewy and smooth but it turned out to be powdery and too soft. The ginger soup was too "spicy" and it could have been a little sweeter.

Anyway, all in all, the food was satisfying and worth trying. The food portion was appropriate. We actually did not get to finish all of them despite there were four of us and we had a male colleague with us.

P/s: The name of the dishes are not accurate as I couldn't recall them. I didn't take any photos of the food. Blek, was rather tired to camwhore and we were starving. We had our dinner at about 8pm++ (close to 9pm, I think or was it 9pm?) and we were so worn out from work. Friday was THE battle day :S Pictures and details of the restaurant can be found here.

No comments: