Sunday, December 7, 2008

Falling In Love With Drop Dead Gorgeous Vampire

Romance between an immortal and mortal under the twilight seems intriguing and mysterious. It only happens in movies and we could only imagine how it's like to be in this kind of unusual relationship. Things get more complicated when one is the predator of the other.

If you have been to the cinema lately, you should have guessed I am referring to Twilight. Written by Stephenie Meyer, it's adapted by Melissa Rosenberg to screenplay and directed by Catherine Hardwicke. After looking through all the available movies on screen, Twilight seems to be the only available movie that's interesting. Starring Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson, the movie is about a romance between a junior high school student Isabella (or known as Bella) Swan and a vampire Edward Cullen.

Robert Pattinson may seem familiar to some of you. Well, he acted in Harry Potter as Cedric Diggory. When I read a review about Twilight, the reviewer gave credit to Pattinson's good look. I didn't agree as soon as I saw the movie's poster and I didn't change my mind on that even when he made his appearance in the first scene. Perhaps his squarish jaw and his utterly pale skin (not to mention his ruby red lips) wasn't exactly that appealing to me. I thought they were such an odd combination. It was about after an hour only did I find Pattinson attractive. His eyes were arresting and hypnotic.

Kristen Stewart did an excellent job in protraying the character Isabella Swan. Although shy and quiet, she caught the attention of her new schoolmates, who then immediately became her close friends. She also managed to attract a few boy's attention but she was only attracted to Edward, who was in her Biology class. Adopted by Dr. Cullen, he lived with the Cullen's in the middle of the woods, far away from town. Everyone thought that the Cullen clan was weird and distant. They only mingled among themselves. [Gosh, I love Kristen's legs. They were long and slender. Wish I have them!]

The dialogues between the characters were well scripted. Intelligent, witty and romantic. Exactly the way I like them. Unlike many other two-hour movies, Twilight has good character and story development. However, you may have already noticed that a scene was obviously being censored and that was a spoiler. Anyway, I am sure you would know the sources to obtain the uncensored version ;p

Thanks to the television series Angel, I was under the impression that vampires will be burnt when exposed to sun. In Rosenberg's protrayal, the skin of the vampires would sparkle like diamonds when exposed to sun and hence, leading others to notice they are different from other mortals.

Apart from romance, Hardwicke did an excellent job in enticing her audiences with suspense for the remaining 30-45 minutes of the runtime. I was holding to my seat and breath until the suspense fell flat. I am expecting a sequel to Twilight because the ending suggested so. You will get what I mean when you see the movie.

I thought the ending was romantic and Stewart looked just as gorgeous in the blue dress. Pattinson and Stewart is a good match and the chemistry between the two actually made the movie a success, though credits should be given to other supporting actors as well.

Twilight is an entertaining romance and thriller flick. I would certainly recommend this movie to all movie-goers. Perhaps after seeing this movie, you may start to appreciate the relationship with your significant half.

3 comments:

Doreen said...

Sounds like a good movie to indulge in. I should add it on my "to watch" list then. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

didn't know that it's a romance story, thought it's horror!

Petite Lass said...

Doreen - My pleasure ;)

sdovelly - I shared the same opinion initially. Not a fan of horror movies. It turned out to be a romance and thriller movie =D