Thursday, January 1, 2009

First Movie of The Year 2009 - Ip Man

Happy New Year 2009! It's the first day of 2009 but I feel I am living in yesteryear. This always happens to me. *shrug* Anyway, hope 2009 is a better year for everyone.

What's my celebration to welcome the year of 2009? I went out with my colleagues after work yesterday (worked for half day only) and had pizza for lunch. We actually talked for about 5 hours, including eating time! It was great as we had an enjoyable time talking and laughing our hearts out. We were pratically talking about everything under the sun. It was also my first time after God knows how may years that I had Mc Donald's Sundae cone! No joke. LOL.

Today, I went to catch a movie which I had longed to see since last year - Ip Man. To my shame, I called it I-P Man but it's actually "Yip Man" =p Well, blame it all on my technical background (easy way out huh? hehehe).

Starred by Donnie Yen, this kung fu flick is definitely a good movie to start off the year 2009. Ip Man discusses the spirit of Wing Chun martial art, humanity, morality and friendship. Apart from sleekly choreographed kicks and punches, the script writer and director introduced humour into the movie, which added more flavour to the one-hour-forty-minutes long movie.

There are some scenes, which typically exaggerate the fact that one man could defeat a crowd of more than ten men at one time. I am not doubting the strength of Wing Chun but it doesn't seem too logical why would a group of ten (or more) attacks a single person one at a time instead of all ten (or more) attacking at once. Anyway, it's common to find the above mentioned in almost every action movies.

Donnie Yen protrayal of a humble, well-mannered, righteous and a truly gentleman has me admiring him even more (I have always liked his movies). Umm,..yeah. I am getting the character and the actor mixed up all together but who cares?! hehehe. People like him is scarcely found in the universe these days. Plus, who would not fall head over heels for him if you see him in action.

Credit should also be given to Wilson Yip (director) for his splendid job in capturing the war scenes. They are very realistic and it's indeed very heart-breaking to see how war destroys a country and its people.

All in all, I enjoyed the movie very much and if you are a fan of martial arts, don't miss this ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a relax way to start off your 2009! Just wanna wish you a happy new year and many great return in 2009 gal!

Doreen said...

Oh I so want to watch this movie. Have been hearing so much about it but doubt can get any here anytime soon. :( I love Donnie Yen!

icefreak said...

I tot it I.P. Man too. Confused with Yes Man and Ironman