Saturday, January 24, 2009

Hakka Cuisine at Ying Ker Lou, Sunway Pyramid

Being a Cantonese, I am always curious of other Chinese cuisines. I didn't let the opportunity to try them pass me by last Sunday. As I reached Ying Ker Lou, I stopped and suggested to give it a try.

Hakka cuisine signature dishes are "Lui Cha", Yam Abacus, Hakka Noodle and Meatball with salted fish. We ordered the first three dishes mentioned above but not the latter as we are not a huge fan of pork.

Yam Abacus.
Yam Abacus (a.k.a Shun Pun Zi) is a must-try dish in Hakka cuisine. Although oily, I shall generously give away points to this dish if I were asked to grade it. The dough (a.k.a "abacus", which is a mixture of yam and flour, was well-balanced. Otherwise, it would taste floury and would spoil the dish all together. Apart from the "abacus", the chef added beancurds, mushrooms, finely chopped black fungus, dried octupus, spring onions, and minced meats, which introduced more flavours to the dish.

Hakka Noodle
I like the texture of the noodle. It's springy and the strands were not sticked to one another like some other Hakka noodles I had tasted. However, I find this dish salty (it would be better if it's not as salty) and it's oily. The meat cake (pork) was surprisingly good. Again, it's on the salty side. Perhaps Hakka people like their food salty? *shrug*

"Lui Cha"

"Lui Cha" rice
"Lui Cha" is served with rice that are mixed with various types of greens - namely french beans, salted vegetable, peanuts, and dried prawns. What makes this dish special is the soup. I could not really make out what it's made of but I am absolutely sure that it contained grounded greens that have strong aroma. This dish should be eaten by mixing all of the above into one bowl. I personally prefer to add soup to the rice one scoop at a time so that the rice would not be too soggy.
Ying Ker Lou is located in Sunway Pyramid and it's quite secluded. I cannot remember which level but you should be able to find it from the directory. It's located at the same level of J.Co donut.The food is actually rather pricey but I expected that as the restaurant is quite well furnished and decorated.
Anyway, no harm to treat yourself to something a little more luxurious once in a while, yeah? ;)

2 comments:

said...

am a fan of Hakka food but never try them in restaurant.

Petite Lass said...

Yeah, I especially like "Lui Cha" and "Yam Abacus". Singapore's Bugis Junction sells really good "Yam Abacus".