Sunday, March 8, 2009

Is Your Choice The Right One?

I was blog hopping and I found myself enjoyed reading posts by Zewt. They are provoking, down to earth and closely reflect reality. I did stop and review what he discussed in his posts.

There's this post which I believe, speaks my mind. I chose to deviate from what I studied and many was taken aback by my decision. Working in a completely different field from what I studied definitely requires more effort and time to learn. Thinking back, I did put a whole lot of effort to study the industry and something that's alien to me. Much to my relief, I was blessed with a kind-hearted mentor who taught me everything unconditionally and our relationship developed into friendship, which I find it beyond valuable.

I didn't mind doing extra or taking up complicated things to do. However, I started to ponder was I being rewarded (in terms of pay) what I deserved after a period of time. It's known to everyone that our pay is nothing to be proud of but in terms of benefits package, we are indeed taking the lead compared against a number of giant MNCs. After talking to my friends, I was jolted to the ugly truth that I am seriously underpaid for the amount of work I have been doing.

As much as I like the industry (as well as the company) and the knowledge I had acquired, pay is still a very important driving force to work. Had I not worked to earn a living, I suppose I would have done something that may not warrant much earnings but out of interest or hobby.

I would not regard my choice as a mistake as I like what the industry (and company) has to offer and I believe I can go a long way but the pay is something that bothers me. Well, again, money is the root of all evil. It's not everything but you can't live without it in many circumstances.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A question that I ask myself almost everyday. I guess we'll never really know.

said...

i have this same thought whenever i am stucked in my work...