Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A battle with cakes and pastries in Vienna

No doubt Vienna is a city of music. But what I discovered during my 2011 trip was that, it is a city for the sweet-tooth. As I passed by the stalls in the train stations, cafes and bakeries along the streets, delicious and tempting cakes or pastries were on the display.

I could practically hear them screaming "Ain't I look sweet!" or "Do you want a bite of me?" - to which I tried very hard to resist. Generally, I am a person that enjoy savoury delicacies than sweet ones but the sinful seduction of those pretty looking cakes made it a tough battle.

With just one turn. Just one. And I knew I was trapped. There was no turning back. I had to have them.

I was glad that I wasn't alone. My travel buddy Tina, was too hypnotised by the sweet spell.
Cafe Sacher is one of the quaint (and perhaps luxurious, if I may add) cafes in the city that offer authentic sacher-torte. In fact, they claimed to be the cafe that serves the legendary original sacher-torte. The branch which we visited were coincidentally linked to Hotel Sacher.
You could see that the facade is handsomely designed in a traditional Viennese taste.
Its interior is as tastefully designed as its exterior. For a moment, I felt like I was drawn back to the 16th or 17th century of Europe. The yellow lighting gave a nostalgic and romantic touch to the whole atmosphere.
 The famous Sacher-Torte, waiting elegantly on the saucer.
 We also ordered another cake....which by now I couldn't recall what flavour it was! -.- All I remember is that the cakes are yummy!
I ordered a pot of team to go with the cakes while Tina ordered a cup of cappuccino. Apart from cakes, Cafe Sacher is also popular for its signature coffees - Einspänner, Kaffee verkehrt, Fiaker, Sacher Kaffee, Anna Sacher Kaffee, Sacher Melange

The Sacher-Torte isn't exactly the best cake I had eaten but indisputably good. It is a very rich, dense and moist chocolate cake - satiable those who are hungry for chocolate. You can have other cakes in the menu, if you are not a fan of chocolate.

Some other traditional cafes which offered a wide selection of delicious cakes were Cafe Schwarzenberg and Cafe Central. Both are located in Vienna city and also served main meals.

We had lunch in Cafe Central and the place was very crowded. We almost couldn't get a table for two! The food (typically Viennese) was up to the expectation of its reputation and the service was relatively good too.

Lunch at Cafe Central. On my way to the ladies, I couldn't help but stared at the dessert counter. Perhaps, some people just have cakes, cakes, and cakes as main meal. I, however, still prefer my main meal savoury rather than sweet.

Cafe Schwarzenberg. I had trouble picking which cake I wanted! Note that this is only one side of the display! If only my tummy could allow it, I would have each of every flavour!

So, I have a sweet-tooth after all. Or maybe, the cakes are just too seductively good looking.....?

No comments: