Monday, July 7, 2008

Dinner at Fong Lye, The Gardens

I came to know about Fong Lye (a Taiwanese Restaurant) at The Gardens from a TV show about food in NTV7 some time ago. Some of you might have caught it on TV, like me. It's called Yummy Trail which was hosted by Radiofm 988 DJ Jeff and NTV7 Star Idol contestant Hishiko.

Ever since watching the episode which featured Fong Lye in Yummy Trail, I had been craving to go there one day. Besides, Taiwanese is adventurous when comes to food (just like the Japanese). So, I decided to go to Fong Lye last Saturday.

Before the food came, I was telling my sis to remember to snap some photos of the food. However, when food was serve, we completely forgotten about it ~_~" LOL. Not yet a dedicated blogger, I reckoned. Anyway, I will try to remember that the next time. (fingers crossed ;p)

Since there are no photos taken, shall rely on my descriptions (and the video link provided above). I ordered a Fried Egg with Tomatoes and Fish meal set, a Pig Intestine Mee Suah, a Chicken with Scallion & Soy Sauce meal set, a Hot & Spicy Taiwanese Dim Sum and a Papaya Milk. Nah, I didn't finish them all by myself. Shared it out with my granny, mom and sis.

The Papaya Milk was a let down. Thinking I could taste authentic Papaya Milk from a Taiwanese Restaurant, I hastily ordered it only to find out that my mom's recipe on Papaya Milk tasted far better. It was too milky and I could not taste anything which resembled papaya.

To those who love spicy food and intestines, you could give the Hot & Spicy Taiwanese Dim Sum a try. I find it super spicy and hot! Probably I am not very good with spicy food. Anyway, I like the beancurd (I love beancurds!) and I didn't say that just because I like beancurds =p

I was enjoying the Fried Egg with Tomatoes and Fish meal set. The chef was generous with eggs, onions and fish fillets. Ah, and not to mention the sweet and sour tomato sauce. I was pratically "attacking" the sauce although I had finished the rice (which comes with the meal set). Oooh,..did I say that I love sweet and sour sauce? Well, now you know ;)

The Chicken with Scallion & Soy Sauce meal set looked pretty much like the poach chicken all mothers would cook during festive seasons. Yeah, you could say it resembles home-cooked food. So, nothing really special. I ordered because my granny wanted that. *shrug*

Well, overall, I would rate the food 5.5 out of 10. It wasn't as good as I had expected and the bill was a whooping MYR85. With that amount, I could indulge in Japanese cuisine! (Sushi Zanmai would be a good choice and it was located just opposite Fong Lye. Only realised that when I came out of the restaurant -.-)

No comments: