Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Chef Choi, KL

Hurray!!! It's a public holiday at Selangor. I have been eyeing on this day since early this month. Since I have not been to The Pavillion after its grand opening, my sister and I decided to check it out. Before heading to The Pavillion, we had our lunch at Restaurant Chef Choi, which is located opposite of Corus Hotel. The restaurant looked luxurious and is highly recommended by my mom's friend. That's why my mom was so eager to try the food.

We are welcomed by a security guard and 2 waitresses. The entrance reminds me of a house entrance. I feel warm and being welcomed.
Ah, Chinese are really into Feng Shui. I suppose no one would mind to have more of gold. Wish those were real!
The waitress actually led us to this table but we decided to move to the next one as this table was located exactly beside the kitchen. Now, that's bad Feng Shui. At least we thought so =p
Didn't know what got into me. Just wanted to snap a photo of this Yin-Yang resemblance. The chilli sauce tasted good. Not that spicy. More to the sour and sweet side. Just nice for me but not for those we really love spicy things. This is the Yang Chow Fried Rice (MYR 18). I would rate it 7 out of 10 but it's quite oily and my mom complained the rice grains were hard. That's fine with me as I don't like them to be soft. Personally, I find the Yang Chow Fried Rice served at the restaurant near my office tasted much better and much cheaper. I could have about four plates of the latter with the price of MYR18! Anyway, I already expected that. Chef Choi is on the high-end side.
Chef Choi's Special Fried Noodle (MYR 32) was a major disappointment though the scallop tasted good and it was fresh. The noodles were slightly burned and were overly flavoured so much so they were very salty. It seems this dish was over priced as well.
Apart from rice and noodle, Chef Choi also offers Dim Sum but only a limited of variety. Mom ordered Celery & Water Chestnuts with Mushroom Dumpling (MYR7.50). Unfortunately, this dish was another disappointment.
BBQ pork bun (MYR 6.00) or better known as char siew pau fared better. However, the chef could consider to increase the size - it costs MYR2 per piece!
At last, I found a dish which I am satisfied with - Prawn Dumpling ala Teo Chew style (MYR 5). The prawn was fresh and springy. Some sprinkle of fish roes accentuate the sweetness of the prawns.

Finally, it's time to call for the bill. After signing the credit card receipt, I was presented with a copy of bill and credit card receipt in a quaint envelope. Impressive and yeah, because I paid for it. Part of the "service", eh? ;p

Details of the restaurant:
Restaurant Chef Choi Sdn Bhd (located opposite Corus Hotel)
159, Jalan Ampang,
50450 Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
Tel: 03-21635866
Fax: 03-21646463

**The colours and outlines of the pictures are not that sharp as they are taken by a basic camera phone. Didn't want to carry my digital camera to shop around =p

2 comments:

said...

can tumpang ar? during lunch time help me to pack the yang chow fried rice :-P

Petite Lass said...

Sure. The portion is quite huge. Buzz me when you feel like having fried rice =p