Saturday, January 31, 2009

Introduction to Mahjong

I was finally introduced to Mahjong yesterday by a friend. She started playing since Primary 5 (about 11 years old!) because her aunties taught her when they lacked of one "kaki" (play mate) to start the game. It's quite interesting and the pleasure to touch and feel each cubes/tiles while playing simply give one the satisfaction - especially when one get to slam the tiles and announced oneself won the game, as pointed out by my friend ;p

At the very beginning, it can be a little confusing. There are quite a number of terms to remember and not to forget the rules of the game, just like any other games. Rules, rules, rules. That make a game more interesting and challenging, don't you agree?

There were 6 of us, where one of them were the "sifu" (master or guru). The friend who came the latest had the best luck! Upon arrival, she already won the first round and instantly, she won the second round! That made her winning 2 rounds in a row! Speaking of good luck, she certainly had lucky stars shining upon her. She had the best arrangement of tiles. Some of us simply get tiles that were nonsensical :

We had made an "appointment" to learn the advanced level in our next gathering. I am not too sure if I had mastered the beginner level (We only played for about an hour and half only as our "sifu" needed to make a move to her grandma's birthday dinner). Anyway, we will definitely have a good laugh the next time, like we did yesterday. What a perfect way to spend a Saturday afternoon ;)

7 comments:

Doreen said...

I learned this some time ago, and still finding it hard to follow. May be because I don't play it often, so I tend to forget about the rules.

Anonymous said...

err..not my cup of tea though. hehe..

Anonymous said...

I've wanted to learn mahjong for the longest time but never got around to doing it. Even if I did, it probably won't stick for long since I repel complicated games in nature. :P

narrowband said...

Mahjong is evilll :p

Petite Lass said...

Doreen - Ooo, definitely. Even at the beginner's level, there are a number of rules. Not to mention advanced level ;)

sdovelly - Haha, I never thought I would play Mahjong!

MisSmall - Mm.....start with the beginner's level. It's quite fun.

narrowband - Yeah, but entertaining to a certain extent. Now, we know why "aunties" love to play mahjong ;)

said...

played once on redang island and forgot all about it. am bad at games (or rather, fun). haha

Petite Lass said...

Haha, we are of the same kind. Think you witnessed how I played cards during CNY. Gosh, I don't really know what's the game about and I don't have any luck with cards playing (or rather, gamblings. Perhaps I just don't gamble LOL) except once at Pulau Besar. I won the first game! Miracle must had happened ;p