Saturday, February 14, 2009

Restaurant Mama

This is indeed a very outdated post. It's way back in 7th February when we went for Yee Sang at Mama's, Petaling Jaya. If I remembered correctly, it was the last day of Chinese New Year and the last day we can find Yee Sang in restaurants!

My mom was craving for the Nyonya style Yee Sang. So, we went there for dinner and Yee Sang. I still could not believe we finished everything we ordered, which was a total of 7 dishes, including Yee Sang!



Baju Kebaya
The special thing about this restaurant is its Nyonya theme. As soon as you enter, you would notice there were lots of ornaments and decorations revolved around Nyonya culture. From baju kurung to Kebaya to paper umbrellas and lanterns.
Nyonya Yee Sang
This Yee Sang is special! I love it at first try. It's slightly different from the usual ones I had. There were fish crackers, pepper mint leave, snow pear, and lemon grass - ingredients that we don't usually see in other Yee Sangs. I simply like the sour taste and fragrance exude from the ingredients. A must-try when you visit Mama's during Chinese New Year.
Nyonya Assam Fish
I am not exactly a huge fan of fishes, especially if they have really fishy taste. Honestly, the Assam fish wasn't something I would recommend. I think the spiciness was too overwhelming that my taste bud could identify other taste.
Fried Chicken with herbs
I was kind of looking forward to the chicken as the description in the menu made it sound so unique and I was wondering what herbs would be used. Alas, it was really nothing special. The herbs were actually in the dipping sauce =.=" but it wasn't enticing at all. I am not sure what it's lacking. Perhaps the herbs or combination of herbs didn't turn out a good chemistry. Besides, the chicken was over-cooked.
Asam Prawns
The prawns did win some points back. I like the sour test and the fragrance of Asam (sour plum) blended well with the tenderness of the prawns. Yummy.
Mee Siam
My mom would probably be up in cloud nine if she knows this - I think my mom's Mee Siam tasted better. Anyway, it fared averagely.
Vegetables
I could not remember the exact name of this dish. It's basically made up of turnip, carrots, mushroom, fried prawns and some diced meat. According to the waiter, it's supposed to be wrapped by the raw greens and chilly paste should be added to bring in flavour and excite your taste bud a little more.
Overall, the food was mediocre but the prices didn't come cheap. Sorry, I could not remember the exact amount but it should be about MYR200 - MYR300. Well, it's Chinese New Year and Chinese tends to spend more on this occasion.

1 comment:

Doreen said...

With delicious dishes like these, 10 also can finish. HEhehehe